Saturday, October 31, 2009

 

Blog#4_Farid_Period 25-30 Oct'09

Hi All see you again in the Blog#4. Blog#4 means we’re passing the 1st month of the learning curve already. I am asking my self, “What do I have learn? I am personally felt, just little! I should be taking thing class 5 years ago to allow me longer time to learn (but, Indonesian says better late than never...) By this weekend I just finish my long HaZop construction for 250T Gantry crane upgrade. Once its get approve and distributed, so the contractor and all project team could start developing their construction activity and Job Safety Analysis and Layered Safety Audit plan. Before attending this valuable “AACE class” (now I can argue 1,000 words to my colleague on why they should take AACE compare to PMI), I would honestly tell that I have little aware to risk of overall project cycle. What I know I am the executor during design and construction, so I just need to aware on my portion,”the big picture” it should be my management’s problem. I use often HaZop to assess risk related to design, construction, process flowchart, but now my eyes open and realize that I just “part” of the overall project cycle. [Citation, AACE class, day 2, p.35]

Looking to life cycle management above, the risk project should consider from the early phase of the project, external and/or internal risks (see “Skill knowledge of Cost engineering chapter 31,risk management).The cycle of indentify à assessment à analysis à mitigation will do on each phase of project life. The Risk management goal the goal to increase probability that a planned asset or outcomes will occurs without decreasing the value of the asset or project [cited from TCM book,chapt.7.6 ], give more answer on Dr.PDG question in class “ why we need to consider risk in front (before cost and schedule)? I am sure is not only about cost and schedule, but beyond of it, is earlier step during decision “go or not go” with the project.
Once the risk factor identified then we start considering to assess, on what risk probability, what probability event, and the consequence if the risk take in account. We need to be ready not only on negative impact (negative risk) but also to the opportunities/performance (positive risk). Once its defined, then we feedback the information to the baseline to establish a mitigation plan. IMHO, if I try to borrow term from PMI, the risk process is “progressive elaborate”.

Align with above, the risk management project map where cited from Futron’s website, also teach me on implementation steps of preparing risk management on our project. Shown that the in the early “initiated” phase we start to commit on champion for risk management, concept and tools.

[Cited from http://www.futron.com/risk_management/methods/risk_management_implementation_roadmap.htm]
Having read on Asril Blogs#4, I can add a comment in to it that the problem of capital spending always away from the budgeted plan is also, probably because we need more intend on the risk management plan. On how we building its aware from the early phase of the project, then convert it to the cost and schedule.
I believe in some reason all the strategic plan team in my company has tools on review risk, but I wondering could see more or probably advise on the suit method on considering risk management.

B/R, Farid Maloni

Comments:
Very well written, Farid!! Nice work! Nice use of citations! I am also pleased to see you making the connection between the class and your day to day work.

I am eagerly awaiting the first draft of your paper!!

BR,
Dr. PDG, back in Jakarta
 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment, we will try to reply your comment as soon as possible.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]