Saturday, October 24, 2009

 

Chrisma Blog#3, Changing is not come cheap

This is my third blog since take-off from course class in Mahakam Jakarta were also from my journey to perfection and professionalism. It is a tough ride as I was describe last week, it is more like roller coaster ride rather than a smooth journey. Day to days working experiment with obligation to bring good changes into my organization will not as easy as one-two-three, it required a bit of luck, responsible, patient, and courage. Better yet, you have to be in the core competencies that need a change, mine is not focusing on construction. While I am a project construction professional.

Day to days Work
I am still in learning zone for Earn Value Analysis since last week analysis, yet this week I am evaluating current progress by going on site. I do not know where I go wrong, but every time I run Earn Value Analysis the result is always the same. The EAC and ETC always below the Baseline cost and they are always fluctuative. What makes them fluctuate? I am still learning and trying to find reference book for this Earn Value Analysis. As I am planning to achieving my EVP after complishing CCC certificate.

And also if I make the trend analysis graphic for productivity, CPI versus SPI, it only shown the graph will narrow to range of 0.5 to 1.5 if when the contractor get their payment. Again, this is indicate the cost for contractor to paid not shown contractor productivity.

I have to study more deeper in the Earn Value Analysis, as I have been challenge about Earn Value Management is their reliable prediction (Pranay Srivastava March 2008; Earn Value Management) is it true? That is why I am eager to focus on Earn Value as my topic for my paper.

I have presentate my Earn Value Analysis to my contractor as this information more useable to contractor rather than to my position as a client. As an owner perspective, The ETC and EAC still in below range of Baseline cost. So no urgency or worry of project over budget or not, but my concern was only time,that is why I am showing this production chart to the contractor, if they want to earn more they have to product more. I am implementing a below line communication to the contractor, I showed their lost and will gain my profit.

Blog#3

Humphreys book that I read also as my base reference, I am not yet into the topic, as I am right now only reading it due to my project assessment, so I am only read it in parts. But really, this EVM is on my top of the list of my curiosity.

My organization is also concerning the green impact of each project, will this environment effect can be implemented in this EVM? Sure, Green assessment is only a part from WBS cycle of a project, this is should be add more time in design and construction management that I have already doing right now. I am planning to go Singapore on 27 to 29 October 2009 to find more book reference about Green Mark Building by Building and Construction Authorrity Singapore. With this also gain my knowledge when estimating a project budget in the future.

Team Government Agreement
Thanks to Klaus as he trying to speed up and calling for team member to focus on the draft and content before signing and agreeing. It is the most long talk discussion because we doing it in distance. But using reminder in the email is surely a good one. As computer nowadays is our tools for work, you will always facing those monitors more often rather than you facing you spouse, right? Hahaha....

Farid also has helping me to get back in track for formal document which one that I have to use for formal agreement contract. It makes me realize and start to open my organization contract agreement from pervious projects. And when using a google docs as the sharing platform in order to get the real-time sharing capability it is able us to input our autograph without handling to the collection desk, I did it unintentionally, heheh, see how luck is playing in this game, as I was mention in above.

And working closely with Hycienth to sign this agreement and assist him how to make an autograph with only chatting, and he thrills when he can over it. I was amaze, how todays technology already eliminate border line, space and distance. As he is already become offical to our member, so team, I need you all to support him. We can only work with him using GTalk.

Thank you to all TRANSFORMER team member as our project plan has been approved from our client. It is a small step to Mars, but we will get there eventually, TOGETHER, I can assure you that. No one left behind.

Come on, we have to start working immediately and chasing our late progress. Use outsource? Hmmm... one of the solution, I have to find a deligent unversity student who wants to upgarde their skill for my outsource.

TRANSFORMER, ready to transform

Chris,
Focusing topic = Earn Value Management, which one?... still learning




Comments:
Very well written, Chris!!! Nice job!!! I am also pleased to see you focusing on Earned Value Management. Don't worry, at the end of the course, you should be quite expert on it......

FWIW, I think Humphrey's is by far the best book written on the subject, and if you focus your efforts on Humprey first, it will help you build the basics..... After you get more comfortable with the step by step PROCESS, then you can start to look into Skills and Knowledge of Cost Engineers, Chapters 14 & 15 (as I recall) and you can see some different applications.

Looking forward to your posting next week....... BTW- you didn't comment on the supplemental assignment on Ethics....... So I will be looking for a paragraph or two on that topic in next weeks blog posting....

BR,
Dr. PDG, GAPPS Workshop #17, University of Maryland, Washington, DC
 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment, we will try to reply your comment as soon as possible.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]