Saturday, November 14, 2009

 

Crashing or Fast Tracking? – Thao’s blog #.5


I've put more efforts on AACE works this week with thoughts in my mind that I crashed to catch up the schedule. However, when going back to the definition of “crashing” and “fast tracking” I am confused a bit. Am I crashing or fast tracking with AACE activities? What is the best option for me now?
So what does correctly define “crashing” and “fast tracking” in terms of project management concepts? “Crashing”1 is an “action to decrease the duration of an activity or project by increasing the expenditure of resources”. While “fast tracking”2 is “compressing the project schedule by doing some or all of certain activities in parallel that would normally be done in sequence,”. Back to my works on AACE this week to get it analyzed if it’s “crashing” or “fast tracking”. Here are my detailed activities
- On question project – week#.6:
+ I finished exercises in Engineer Economy for week 6 first, and then moved on the next exercises for week#.7
+ After the Engineer Economy exercises, I started with Humphrey’s. I did the same and finish exercises for week. #6 and partially for week#.7
- On Mapping project – week#.6: no activity but I plan to catch up on weekend time.
- On Paper project – week#.6: no activity but I plan to catch up on weekend time then I would be more focused on paper studying.
What I find when doing like this way is PRODUCTIVE.
I can finish my homework faster than ever before. Now I’m managing my own schedule by completing task by task instead of running gradually as per the project plan. Lesson learn for me is “change the way of working” when things doesn’t work as what you planned. Sometimes, we need to think out of the box to make changes. And it’s obviously meaningful in this case. A new way of working has brought me a clear result.
Going back to “crashing” and “fast tracking” techniques in project management I realized that I combined the two. I did put more efforts to reduce the activity duration by completing more exercises in a certain time to crash the schedule. I’m now ahead one week for question project. And by doing this, I’m fast tracking by putting more activities in two-week period instead of a day. Now I could save some resources to catching up the schedule for Mapping and Paper project next week.
As for me the key for our AACE recovery plan is to get the work done fastest when everyone seems so busy with other stuffs. Just now I understand more on the meaning of “work smarter not harder” that is everywhere in AACE Prep. Course slides. For sure, to prove my idea I need one week to see the result if I can actually catch up and recover myself to go ahead the schedule in AACE project. Let’s wait and see my result this time next week.
P/S: I’m waiting for you, my dear mates, to share your experience and know-how to deal with AACE works effectively and productively while you also have other important stuffs to accomplish. What is your key to succeed so far? Farid, Arsil, Andy, Nui, Lau….. I’m respecting and admiring you for what you’ve done so far, EXCELENT JOBs and you're the symbols for me to try and keep going on with AACE.
Bwt, I'mso sad when no reponse received for the questions I raised in the weekly blogs. No-one ever read except for our Doctor. ? You know what, I've read all of your posting it's really worth reading. I learn from you guys then and there. For me, I hope to receive comments as many as my personal blog, hehehehe :D .. It's wonderful if our AACE blog will be like any other blogspot forums :D,
Nice weekend to you all.
Sources:
1, 2: Wideman Comparative Dictionary of Project Management, Project Management Dictionary English – Indonesian Version, published by Generasi Info Media, Indonesia

Comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment, we will try to reply your comment as soon as possible.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]