Saturday, November 28, 2009

 

Nui – 8th blog

What I’m learning this week

Progress and Performance Measurement

Reference from TCM Framework; This week on mapping project, I have been working on Progress and Performance Measurement process. This process is start with setting up the measurement process and system. In Initiate Progress and Performance Measurement, project control will responsible for interfacing with design management, material management and other processes to ensure that measurement is initiated in an appropriate and timely manner. Cited from TCM Framework under 9.2 Progress and Performance measurement page 190.


As my study to this program, project control is a bit new role for my working experience. Because in my workplace, we have 2 roles that can be equal to this role. First one is project controller who will take responsible on project financial part and mostly focus in numerical and accounting purpose. But the second role is Project Support, as my role now, who will responsible for project performance measurement and also financial part as well.

In Ericsson, we have same KPI to measure for all projects in our Project Office. This means we gain some completion of “Plan for Progress and Performance Measurement”.

The next part, “Initiate Progress and Performance Measurement”, I as my current role is comparable to Project Control, usually I play not fully active to this process. I think that project manager should be the one who responsible of this part because project manager has directly interface with owner and our subcontractor and control everything in the project.

If we look at the measurement process, definitely we have but I did not emphasize to project manager every time that new project coming up. But project support is responsible to ensure the measurement has been set up properly by starting discussion with project manager and project controller. Then we are setting in the system (project revenue/cost structure, project progress system).

I would summarize that “Initiate Progress and Performance Measurement” process, is still mainly responsible by project support while project manager will also take responsible for the interface part to the owner. However, this might applicable from project to project for instance that project is very large volume and project manager does not able to control by themselves they might require project support to handle all his part by they give only requirement and approval.

However, I take this into my consideration about my job. As I mention above, I have not explain the measurement process to all new projects this would not create awareness to all project manager how importance of the measurement process. I did not play active role or even lead project to initiate process in timely manner. These should be change!

Beyond above from the transformer project, I also think about the project control task should be able to coach project manager or alert them before problem coming up which I suppose to do as simulation in Transformer team. If I have further exploration of project control responsible I will re-emphasize here to remind myself to further development as well.


Comments:
Morning, Nui.....

I LOVE change!!! Great to see you applying your critical thinking skills to see what improvements you can and should be making in your organization based on what you are learning in class...

Keep up the good work!! Very impressive!!

BR,
Dr. PDG, Jakarta
 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment, we will try to reply your comment as soon as possible.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]