Saturday, December 12, 2009

 

Chris Blog #10, heading forward and hanging tough

Greeting all,
It is #10 of TRANSFORMER journey to AACE certification. This week was full of lesson learnt that I get. Sure it is a good learning education for me, but it is also confusing because I have to related to the process or chapters in book references that I have. Once you have lots of books that you read, you may forget from where you got the idea, nevertheless just like I always said this journey full of ups and down.

Me as a project man in my department is trying to do all the multi tasking that my superior asked me to. Once I have to act as drafter and in term of five minutes I become cost-budget control and estimator who is plan and create cost budget for up coming financial year, I use from previous historical data and follow it to find Big Mac Index (Burgerconomics) for the year and related to current year. From there I can see the PPP reflection and I did perform the information to my superior, which I hope he understand my mind process flows . In two hour after that I have to become project supervisor who concern for actual progress who analyse with Earn Value Analysis in order to provide good comment for my weekly project meeting.

After few hours I have to run the risk managing plan for upcoming holiday season which is for me, when the rest community take a brake, my department take the gas pedal to add speed for our December Break works. I love my present job because I could be anything so I could sharpen my skills for every task in project management. If related to PMBOK, my related job is covers all 9 process.

For background information, my department is already ISO certified for Quality Control Management and on February we might have an external audit to follow up the last session audit that have non-conformance finding according to ISO standard. For Project Team, I am the process owner and I have 2 minor founding. One of it is there are no Quality Matrix as a minimum requirement for contractor. I invited the consultant to discuss about this. At first they perform the presentation about general thing, too general and for me is so confusing.

During the discussion I proposed to use CSI-Master Format as our WBS check-list so we can see through each section accordingly. To am I surprised for my self, it is a good decision to run CSI-Master Format as a check-list. Everybody likes it. I quite pleased with my self and wonders how much this AACE certification process has change my point of view significantly. Better yet, I am also educate my colleagues (even my consultant) how to see a process from its WBS as a check-list.

And how I could create a cost estimate from previous recorded data and refers it to Burgerconomics as a reflection price increase to current time which is a breakthrough for me, as I am aware right now from 2004 to 2009, USA inflation is 27%. I use USA as my reflection is because I prefer to set the baseline in US$ as my organization is using lots of imported material from US as well as because of our financial standard using US$ as well.

Related to my act role in TRANSFORMER, I have sketch down every ideas that I want to write in my paper, like a run down so my paper is creating a smooth transitions paragraph to paragraphs. I have been working 15 hours a day since day one I set my self to achieve this certification. I am the last one is going home and the first to show up every day, even saturday and I try not for sunday, because it might make one of my stakeholders furious, if you know what I mean :D

My deepest concern is number of tourists that gain every week, which is for me is very contra productive if we see from personal goals. Because in this team we do not have authority to each other, different not like in our daily work. Why contra productive? Because we did not get materially value with our efforts but we will get paid by personal satisfaction which is for me is more challenging. While for our daily work we get paid but does it also can be valued with our personal satisfaction of what we have achieved, there are numerous decisions that are not satisfactory to our perspective and yet we still get paid. Just like MasterCard slogan, "There are some things that Money can't buy, for everything else there's MasterCard".


Comments:
Well Chris, BETTER LATE THAN NEVER!!!!

Nice posting and I am happy to see you actually using some of the things I recommended...... You may remind your bosses that they too sat in on my PMP Prep course........ And they too got to see Masterformat, Uniformat and Norzok Z-014, but they have NOT yet seen OmniClass....

As OmniClass is a joint collaborative effort between ISO and CSI, why not review it http://www.omniclass.org, download the coding structures that you like and share them with your ISO consultant.....

Also be sure to let them know where you are finding all this neat stuff!!!

BR,
Dr. PDG, Jakarta
 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment, we will try to reply your comment as soon as possible.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]