Saturday, December 19, 2009

 

Thao’s blog #.9

Thinking about our Doctor's questions in my last blog posting, I find out that I'm more and more interested in the topic related to WBS development. Actually, WBS development is a big topic to study about but for my ~ 2500-word paper I'm just intending to explore on how to have healthy cost estimating in WBS level then activity level which is currently a hot topic in my real life project/organization. The following is my general outline for what I am going to study about in the coming days. 1. WBS development tools
Introducing Cocoon II, Delphi
2. Planning cost
Common activity groups in a turn-key telecom project: + man-hour cost/+ service cost/+ material cost
Tools and techniques to have the best cost estimating for these activities
3 Risk contingencies cost should be built in WBS? What should be the first choice for estimating cost in a turn-key telecom project.
Based on these key points I'm going to propose a change request for my topic as "Using Cocomo II in planning cost for the turn-key telecom projects"
The general outline for this proposed topic is as follows
- Cocomo II introduction (definition, sample diagram)
- Detailed plan for a turn-key telecom project (the common activity group, techniques to calculate cost for each activity group, the real life example)
- Risk contingency cost (where should the cost included? WBS level or activity level)
- Comparison with other techniques in estimating cost
That's all I intend to put in ~ 2500-word paper. Hope it is not so wide or narrow :D
Actually, I'm still quite confused with this outline. Maybe I should need more time to work in details and can give out the more appropriate one.
P/S: [Dear Mentor] I know the blog should not be a place for outline review for my paper but this is what I all thought about the whole week. In addition, I'm currently working with cost analysis in my real life project so I'm trying to find a topic that related to what I am doing now and what is more focused by management in my organization. Could you give me some ideas on the proper topics that I can write within 2500-word paper. (Surely, a Change Request for topic change will be submitted to you once I find a proper topic for me to proceed...I will have 10-day vacation to catch up with AACE in the year-end week :D "ten ten"

Comments:
Hi Thao, your posting is appropriate because you are linking your paper to a real work problem which is EXACTLY what I expect from you!

My best suggestion for your paper is to look at OmniClass, www.omniclass.org and write your paper on which of the 15 templates YOU think would be best for telecommunications projects... If you were smart, you would find one of the guys from the mining sector and perhaps Chris who build schools and work together.... Same topic, same basic paper, using three very different applications. And probably 3 different recommendations......

BR,
Dr. PDG, Jakarta
 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment, we will try to reply your comment as soon as possible.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]