Saturday, January 16, 2010

 

Blog #15, schedule management

Dear all,
I am trying the new method for me to write the blog from my gadget handheld in order not always attached to my computers whether in my house nor my office, which I have been doing for these 4 months.

For last couples of weeks I have been stressed out because I have no long holiday like common people have during change year event. I only have holiday during red date that shown in common calendar. Even my HR manager remind me to get some loose attitude and not working all the time. While it is hard for me to do when I know there is my responsible for me to take care my running projects. Especially during holiday is the perfect time to make project arrangement while most of teachers and students are not in here.

I am not whining or complaining, I am just sharing the situation that I have not more or less.

But lesson learnt that I want to share is, the preliminary project schedule is always open to change. Why? Because when we design and plan the schedule, commonly we divide the weight percentage equally to every week within the time frame not based on WBS or in proper cycle within their step by step dependencies. This is not real while it is ideally will be good, but still is not real.

For me a good project schedule is workable from that we can arrange the resource that we need, human, tools and even construction budget to spent every month.

I know that but the contractor who worked for this project in my organisation did not know that. So what happen actual on site is, from the schedule their work progress is WAY OFF the schedule, but if you see actual on site and sees from item of work remain is getting less. So actually they are not OFF from schedule, even my boss said "you work too fast".

Luckily, in this project we have 2 phases, we divide in 2 in order to balance our finance school year budget in to 2 years. Because they work fast, we already put the next year work into now, so again, this is will level the schedule back to normal speed.

And during these 6 months ahead, I also occupied with another 3 more projects that have a short of period of time. Others said "poor me, because I only has 3 back up resources for these projects" but for me, it is a can do projects because I know my resources skill matrix and we working as a team. Within this year only, my team has manage school projects worth of $7,5 million beside other operational and maintenance projects.

For TRANSFORMER TEAM, I have rolled out my propose working plan which is to stretch questions and mapping schedule into June and change weekly report to monthly report IF team agrees to have exam on June or July 2010.

And the paper assignment will be our main target that need to be finish within this March 2010. So we would not be bother Dr PDG concentration for his new student class group.

And Project Managers need to change their baseline schedule to more realistic target, after that I will submit change order to the client, just like the my reality working procedure.

Have a nice weekend everybody. Remember, Work hard.... Play hard


Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone from Sinyal Bagus XL, Nyambung Teruuusss...!


Comments:
Chris,
This must have been tough to type on a Blackberry!!! At least my iPhone has larger keys!! I use Yani
s Blackberry and I hate it.....

Anyway, at least you posted this week and it looks like your recovery plan may be the best solution.... My only concern was if everyone missed the first dates, what are the chances you will be able to make the second set of dates?

Looking forward to getting your recovery plan, but at this point, what I really need are your papers....... THAT is where I can help you the most..... The rest, with few exceptions, will be up to you, ideally working together, but separately if you cannot....

BR,
Dr. PDG, Jakarta
 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment, we will try to reply your comment as soon as possible.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]