Saturday, January 2, 2010

 

Nui – 13th blog

What I doing during New Year Season!

This week, I plan to work on the paper. Originally, I plan to write the whole 2,500 words paper in one shot. Unfortunately, I can't do it as I 'm not so genius. And I also realize that my previous topics, both Apply EVM and Evaluating EVM, is quite difficult for me to writing. Why I propose this topic in the begining, as my intention, I would like to really implement EVM in my workplace but it require a lot of information in order to indicate process and procedure to make it for real use. But in my head, I still think about how to figure this out. It require not only actual data from SAP but it also require implementation status from another tool that we use, call "Site Handler", to handle this EVM method. So let's me try later on into work.

Now, I propose new topic about Cost Estimation Tool & Technique to my workplace. As I found that many projects have estimation accuracy not so good. As I read through 3 books (Engineering Economy, Humphrey and Skill & Knowledge), I realize that many techniques are applicable to works and should be use in my workplace such as Cost Risk Assessment for new technology project or even complex one, Escalation Factor for project that handle for long periods, and use factor multiply to direct cost in order to proper provide range of project management cost. Eventually, suggestion on keeping record of the database by separate them as the site type or node type for the further cost estimation development.

During my thinking what I will write, I also try to find other topic around because I'm not sure whether what I propose will be too less content than it should be. So I have tried to find how relation of direct project cost with project management cost from database of closed project as Engineering Economy Ch.3 , Ch.12 or Skill & Knowledge Ch.9. I put data in excel file, and make a graph to find its trend line and relation from the equation. But it seem that information can't really apply to all projects since the database I have only 6 projects with one account that I have worked for. And these projects are differences from each other in term of scope and node type. The actual data sometimes cannot solely exactly be any of a WBS. So I put it down and come back to my previous thought, just find the percentage range of its relation that should be OK from now since the data available is not enough. I just want to make it concrete enough but I couldn't do it.

Now I finished my abstract and starting the introduction part, but not so well progress as my struggling of information as mentioned above. Hope it is good enough to make it pass.

Sorry if this week is not much technical issue in my blog posting.

Comments:
Hi Nui,
Your posting was enough to enable me to help you out a bit....

It seems you are trying to bite off too much for a 2500 word paper...... My suggestion to you would be to take a single KEY component of your system and use that as an example. Using that one piece of equipment (or process) collect the data on it and using 2 or 3 of the cost estimating tools from EngEcon, S&K 5th or Humphreys, compare the costs over a period of time (say the past 3-5 years) and using that information, project forward another 3-5 years.

That alone will be sufficient for a 2500 word paper AND will be seen as something contributing to the knowledge pool.

Keep up the good work!!

BR,
Dr. PDG, Jakarta
www.build-project-management-competency.com
 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment, we will try to reply your comment as soon as possible.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]