Saturday, December 5, 2009

 

Book Log #9, Chrisma, Working with PLEASURE

Hi all.
This is my book log #9 for AACE Transformer team goals and objectives. This week I done multi tasking act. Right as my working experience and my Transformer role. Just like I said in my first blog entry, AACE certification is my goal and to achieve it really like a riding on a roller coaster, fulls of ups and downs that is good form my personal experience and lesson learnt. I usually have write this blog in my office for 8 consecutive weeks but this week my project was posponed their concrete pouring session therefore I do this blog input in my house but I overslept due to I tug my son to bed and complete together I tug my self in rest. ;)

Anyway, for this week related to my job, it seems that I have put new mark on my users head that I am the cost gate keeper of my organization's projects. I have been very strict with project cost and expenditure and not let it over budget. I am in stingy attitude and I think this role I have not been playing in my previous project before. I always runs project to over budget and this is quite shameful but my alibi is I was not the project manager back then. Now after I am planning to have CCC certification this role I have to play more often in order to raise my credibility in the eyes of my organization's.

My end users required one equipment that has 23 quantities with 7 different filter cartridges. One of the users was taking an easy choices by saying they need all 7 different filter cartridges for all 23 equipments. Me stood stand tall and call for big meeting to all parties, in the meeting finally we elaborate more about this issue. After I explain my background which is we have to split between project cost budget with operational and maintenance cost budget, and all of them accepting it. And now the final decision is we bought those 23 equipments which this is a mandatory as we are really need this equipment to fill the class, but the cartridge was not 23 no more but only 17. For me this is quite enormous breakthrough when I could stop the end "panic buying" mode to more reasonable vision, at least until the building can manage to operate first, we still could buy the cartridge on the later stage. At the end, the end users was thanked me for my ability to see more deep about cost saving. Overall the related parties was over joy because I could manage the important value of the project which is how to to get operate after project accomplished not to let over think how to maintain because maintain and operational cost has its own budget cost.


I tried to find what chapter this engineering economic paradigm of mine. Because when you have read a lot, you might do not know or forget from where you have this courage and or from what chapter of my mindsets. I realize that I have done the Engineering Economic Analysis Procedure and Chapter 6, Comparison and Selection among Alternatives.

This week I have done a lot and goes lot of places of meeting rooms. In order to clarify my running cost. Very fortunate that I have start writing my paper assignment and read GAO-09-3SP for reference. Chapter 16 in this GAO mentioned about Documenting the Estimate which I have done it in this week. In GAO there are checklist for the estimator how to creating high-quality cost estimate report. I follow the sections and finalize it. Big wish that this could arise my users (organization) aware that I have raise my personal quality.



Related to Transformer team, I am quite devastate to run a team that I do not have an authority to each other team member. This is really challenging situation because I could not reach them and get personally involve to help them to overcome their obstacle. Thank you to my mentor that keep me high spirit can teach me to see from positive perspective. I have plan for next week to create a polling to decide few maters that have been stuck for couples of weeks.


Labels: , ,


Comments:
Wow Chris!!! Extremely pleased to see you actually putting to work what you are learning!! Nothing excites me more (well, ALMOST nothing!!!) than to see the people I am mentoring actually putting what they are learning to work to make their projects run better....

And by the time you are done, I am sure you will develop more of the soft skills in how to manage your team even when you have little or no authority over them....

Keep up the good work!!!

BR,
Dr. PDG, back in Jakarta
 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment, we will try to reply your comment as soon as possible.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]