Saturday, December 19, 2009

 

Book Log Week #11 - Learning is Patience

This is my book log writting for AACE Certification Transformer in week #11. In this blog I write off my lesson learnt from AACE and my implementation to my work. Some good and some bad. Recently I face the bad time of this journey. Why? My senior did not use my skill from this course, yet they used guessing game for estimating to a project. While I have done my estimation using from recorded data, reflected using burgerconomics from that time of year and to current time. And funny thing which I used it as a personal satisfaction, that the final sum is 5% different with my calculation.


I understand that in order to change the system or change for good it will takes time. Patience is always my principle in order to show my seniors in my department that I am bringing a good order to this department.


Another event occured happened this week was, I noticed that my organization are always need third party (consultant) to back up internal analysis report. According to my coleagues this practice is happen for years. No wonder that my Estimate To Completion or my cost forecasting is cannot utilise properly. I am new in this organization and I know I could bring change. So to achieve my certification is my higher stake to take as they do not need RoTI.

Same happen to our lost due to foreign exchange fluctuation, no body seems to concern, no mitigation plan to prevent this thing happened again. While me as an engineering to me cost concern is mandatory. I think how to prevent something that will happen. Forex fluctuation is a known situation. We should not hold on to certain number because what Central Bank conclude. History is always repeated it self. And if we collect forex data exchange we could know the fluctuation and make a limit bar for maximum and minimun rate that we could bare. But NO, I could only blame the supplier who did not give us the quotation and makes us "forget" about the forex exchange that decreasing significantly in front of our eyes. 21% of our lost due to forex exchange is really ashamfull.

Lesson learnt from here is, I should have only dependent on my self as a project supervisor and as project team controller. I should have know this would coming. If there any forex drop or raise, I should have inform to contractor to provide me invoice progress ASAP. Thanks to Earn Value Management System which the old me (save the organization money and thinking to invest the money first to earn more interest) has change completely. Other company has a different system and for now, I learn new rule and I will support this rule and have to prevent more losts.

Learning is patience. Time is our teacher. I know in life is just a phase that I need to go through and share the experience so I could study and learn in the future from my past. This blog is one of the kit for me to keep on studying.

Regarding to TRANSFORMER project assignments. I am still writting to my paper assignment and want to find IDENTIFYING PROBLEM as my first chapter.

Have a wonderful holiday season for you all, my dearest team members.






Labels: , ,


Comments:
Nicely written, Chris!!!

Keep on working at it..... Change is very tough to make, especially in organizations such as yours. Remember that their core business is teaching, not learning, so you are facing an uphill battle.

How do I know this? Because I am married to one of them!!

Hope you enjoyed the Christmas Holiday and more importantly, hope you are using this time to get your paper in order.....

I expect to see a draft very soon!!

BR,
Dr. PDG, Jakarta
 

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment, we will try to reply your comment as soon as possible.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]